10 Examples of Modals Must! The modal verb must is used to express certainty or necessity. It can be used to indicate that something is required, forbidden, or obligatory.
You must turn off your cell phone during the movie.
In this sentence, the speaker is expressing a requirement. The use of the modal verb must indicate that the speaker is certain that turning off the cell phone is required in order to watch the movie.
The modal verb “must” can also be used to express a high degree of likelihood.
The new James Bond movie must be good.
In this sentence, the speaker is expressing their opinion that the new James Bond movie is likely to be good. The use of the modal verb must indicate that the speaker is certain about their opinion.
Here are 10 Examples Using Modal Verb Must
10 Examples of Modals Must
- You must be at least 18 years old to vote in the United States.
- You must show your ID when you vote.
- You mustn’t smoke in this restaurant.
- You must take your shoes off before entering the mosque.
- You must respect other people’s religious beliefs.
- I’m sorry, but you must leave now.
- You must have to pay for this coffee!
- They said we must be there by 9 pm sharp!
- You must not speak to the press.
- You must be tired after a long day at work!