Prepositional phrases are a cornerstone of the English language, providing an easy way to connect words and make meaning.
In this article, we’ll look at 10 different examples of how you can use prepositions effectively when crafting your sentences. Let’s get started!
Whether you’re writing an essay, a novel, or even just a simple blog post, incorporating these forms of expression into your prose will make it more enjoyable.
What is a Prepositional Phrase?
A prepositional phrase is an expression comprised of a preposition, the object(s) of the preposition, and modifiers of the object(s). Prepositions are words used to indicate the location in time and space such as on, over, under, around, near, through, etc.
How to Identify a Prepositional Phrase in a Sentence?
The easiest way to identify prepositional phrases in any sentence is to look for words that indicate the location in time or space, such as the examples listed above. When these words are followed by a noun or pronoun, then you can be sure that you have found a prepositional phrase.
Related: 10 Types of Phrases in English Grammar
10 Examples of Prepositional Phrases
1. At the end of the day
2. According to my teacher
3. Within her reach
4. On top of a hill
5. By the sea
6. Across the lawn
7. Around the corner
8. In the middle of town
9. Near the river
10. Through the forest
Examples of Prepositional Phrases in Sentences
1. She arrived at the end of the day.
2. I studied according to my teacher’s instructions.
3. The ball was within her reach.
4. They climbed to the top of a hill to get a better view.
5. We enjoyed a walk by the sea in the evening sun.
6. He ran across the lawn to catch the bus.
7. They turned around the corner and saw a surprise.
8. Our house is in the middle of town.
9. The boat was moored near the river bank.
10. We trekked through the forest on our way to camp.
11. The shop was located below the bridge.
12. We spotted a deer above the tree line.
13. She searched for her keys behind the sofa.
14. He hid his money beneath his pillow.
15. They kept their secret within the family.
16. I found my glasses beside a pile of books.
17. They sailed around the coast of Africa.
18. She wrote a letter in response to his request.
19. He looked for answers underneath the surface.
20. We discussed the issue over a cup of coffee.
10 Sentence Beginning With A Prepositional Phrase
Adding a captivating sentence beginning with a prepositional phrase can take your readers on an exciting journey.
1. ‘Under the moonlight’, we made our way to the beach.
2. ‘Around the bend in the road‘, a beautiful vista opened up before us.
3. ‘On the edge of town‘, we found an old abandoned house.
4. ‘Through the fog‘, I could see a figure in the distance.
5. ‘Near the lake‘, we camped out for the night.
6. ‘Beyond our expectations‘, our trip was full of adventure.
7. ‘By the river‘, we caught a glimpse of a family of beavers.
8. ‘Above the treeline‘, an eagle soared in circles.
9. ‘In the shadow of a mountain‘, we watched the sun go down.
10. ‘Within our grasp‘, our dreams suddenly seemed achievable.
Related: 20 Sentences of Noun Phrase with Answers
Related: Gerund Phrase Examples with Answers