Being able to accurately identify and use verb phrases can give a real boost to your writing skills. Identifying and using verb phrases correctly not only improves your grammar but also strengthens the impact of what you are trying to say. In this blog, we’ll explore 20 different sentences that incorporate useful verb phrases, as well as provide answers so you know how they should be written effectively in English.
What is a Verb Phrase?
A verb phrase is a group of words that act as the verb in a sentence. It typically includes an auxiliary or main verb, and sometimes also other modifiers, such as adverbs and adjectives.
1. Are eating -Verb Phrase
2. Had been running -Verb Phrase
3. Was playing soccer -Verb Phrase
How to identify the Verb phrase in a sentence?
The easiest way to identify a verb phrase in a sentence is to look for the main verb it contains. The verb phrase may also contain other verbs, such as helping verbs, as well as adverbs or adjectives.
7. Was walking slowly -Verb Phrase
8. Had been waiting patiently -Verb Phrase
9. Are studying diligently -Verb Phrase
Sentences of Verb Phrase with Answers
Below are 20 verb phrase examples with answers. (verb phrase is underlined)
1. She ‘was walking‘ slowly.
2. He ‘had been running‘ late.
3. They ‘are eating breakfast‘.
4. We ‘have been studying‘ diligently.
5. You ‘were playing soccer‘.
6. I ‘had been waiting‘ patiently.
7. She ‘had been singing‘.
8. He ‘was climbing‘ the stairs.
9. They ‘were discussing‘ the issue.
10. We ‘have been working‘ hard.
11. You ‘were swimming‘ in the lake.
12. I ‘was playing‘ the piano.
13. She ‘had been painting‘.
14. He ‘was writing‘ a report.
15. They ‘have been watching‘ TV.
16. We ‘were cooking‘ dinner.
17. You ‘were doing‘ your homework.
18. I ‘was studying‘ for the test.
19. She ‘had been reading‘.
20. He ‘was walking‘ slowly.
Related: 20 Sentences of Noun Phrase with Answers
Related: Gerund Phrase Examples with Answers